Saturday, June 05, 2010

For the Record: Dates are a GOOD thing

I have been kind of strung out lately after having some good mommy parenting workouts with the girls. You know what those are, right? Just the normal, blessed, day in and day outness of stay at home mommyhood that you are grateful for but sometimes runs you into the ground? That was me. I was a walking piece of mommy pulp today and yesterday and the day before that...and the day before that...and the day before that..you get the picture, I am sure.

Nothing is wrong. This is blessed normalcy with a few extra pops of Murphy's Law only in heaping spoons that can be hard to swallow all at once. I'd like my mommy life with 4 teenies in bite sized bits next week please. Ok, I digress.

So, I was particularly sleepy today. I needed a nap and I just never got around to it. My mommy emotions were in lockdown. It's my new thing. Instead of blowing up, I tend to wind down like the character Tick Tock on Return to Oz. Sam had been asking me all these leading questions the last few days--feeling me out to see what kind of mood I was really in. Was I mad? Was he in the doghouse? Was I depressed? Was I tired, burned out or just plain quiet? He even sent me to bed and told me not to touch the dishes. He'd take care of it. (XOXO SammyPie.)

Anyway, my sister Traci had a couple's baby shower today and I just wanted to go to bed. I had been looking forward to it all week. My babysitter had been booked since last Saturday but come today at 4:30, I just wanted to crawl into bed for a much needed nap and revel in my blue funk--maybe eat a Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup and read a gardening magazine.

Well, I vented to the hubby for a few minutes and then we kicked it into gear. I threw on a casual summer dress, cute earrings and a bracelet, some heeled sandals, put on some great high gloss lip slick and out the door we went with our scrumptious Paisley in tow. First of all, we got to know some really great people. Truly great. The kind of people who inspire to you be better at who you are and what you do.

Second of all, the food was to.die.for. AND homemade AND I didn't have to tell anyone to eat their food AND someone lovingly cuddled Paisey Maisey for me and I got to eat with both hands. Can you feel my bliss? Third of all, the home where we gathered for said occasion was a splendid English style manor. Sam and I walked around--hand in hand. We played on the teeter totters (yes they had their own playground) and swung on the swings. It was freeing and rejuvenating. Fourth of all, it was uplifting to hear some fabulous parenting advice from the aforementioned truly great people as a part of the baby shower festivities. Fifth of all, our fabulous babysitter was home showing my girls a GREAT time, feeding them dinner, putting them to bed and tidying up after all that to boot.

Sixth of all, I am amazed how important that date was. It was just what I needed. It is like
receiving new power, like having your batteries recharged and ready for action. I am so glad that I didn't give into the temptation to cry wolf and jump under the sheets. The world was out there. Ready to take me in and give me a booster shot as it were. Thanks World. Thank you Heavenly Father for creating said world and putting those seen angels in my path. I'll try to remember that...Dates are a GOOD thing. I'll go even when I think I don't want to go from now on.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Dates are a good thing. It took us 8 years after having our first baby to figure that one out. You'll be thrilled to know we are planning our couples date night and going bowling (just for you!) Stay tuned for details!

dee(mom) said...

good for you! Pity parties are only productive for a few minutes, then it's time to get up and do something.Ah love!!

Mindy said...

still waiting for my recharging moment, but glad to know that its out there waiting for me :) Glad that you got a moment to cut just your own meat, and wipe your own face!!