Monday, December 06, 2010

Got Skills?

(I have never read nor have I heard of this book, just liked the picture. But now that I have heard of it...)

I am a homeschooling mom. You knew that. I have four kids. You knew that too. Four kids = equals more chaos that I bargained for. If you know me, you know that too.

Until further notice, I am going to declare Mondays "Get some Life Skills Day". Now I try to get my girls busy and involved in doing chores around the house but our Mondays are recovery days from the weekend--just like they are for many of you.

So, instead of dividing my time between my Weekly Home Blessing that really does last longer than an hour nowadays, wrangling a 9mos old baby who is trying her darndest to walk thereby affording her the luxury to get into more stuff, dealing with 3 yr old attitude and tantrum issues, a 5 yr old who is good at laying low and keeping her nose clean for the most part (except for the fact that she likes to cut almost anything in sight when she finds scissors) and a 8 yr old who is "talks" to me as if I was deaf (and blind for that matter...doesn't she know I can see her sassy face?) in addition to doing homeschool on Monday, we are going to be do some independent homeschool in the afternoons and in the mornings I am going to cheerfully work my little Cinderellas so they will have some skills when prince charming comes around. (Wheeze. WHEEZE! But you gotta admit that was a great run on sentence. )

They don't know this. Shhh. They always wanted to be Cinderella, right? See? What a nice mom I am? I am merely facilitating their life long dream to be an iconic Disney princess. I think I am going to work on introducing them to a new skill and let them practice along side me until they pass off that skill and are ready for another. That way, we clean, we learn and the house gets back into functioning order for the week. Also, if I make them work with me, they squabble less and get into less trouble. No kid cut her mom's curtains whilst swishing the toilet, right?

Now if you are like me, you want to make this a perfect science, right? Well, I ain't gonna.I don't have the energy for that kind of perfection, anyway. I am going to be free and flexible. I am going to just make a list of some skills that I want to focus on with my girls and fly by the seat of my pants. No pressure. No perfection. Just a designated day set aside to make my daughters into chicks with skills.

4 comments:

The Mathews Family said...

Awesome idea! I get stuck in that rut of how much easier it seems to just do it myself... yet I *know* that it really doesn't make things easier in the long run. I think you've got a great attitude and I'd be happy to be alongside you chatting and cleaning if it involved hanging out with you! *sigh* It's been too too long since I've seen you. I ran into Sara this afternoon at the grocery store and was reminded just how long it's been since we've gotten together.
-Jessica

mimi said...

I love it! When you get here, we will continue your format.

Tara said...

It's always good to educate the workforce. My mom's nickname for Kate is CinderKate if that gives you any clue. And I've found that even though my girls complain about cleaning, they're actually pretty good at it and like it when they're done and I tell people that they cleaned the house.

Handsfullmom said...

Tisha, I'm trying to update my Christmas card list. Can you email me your contact information? handsfullmom at gmail dot com.