Tuesday, August 29, 2006

LET ME SLEEP FOR SANITY'S SAKE!

It has happened. Olivia has discovered how to break her parents down most efficiently. Deprive them of sleep. She won't let me/us nap in the daytime and she won't let us sleep in the nighttime. She fusses about going to bed, tries to avoid napping in the day. She fits, she attempts to negotiate. She is going crazy because she isn't getting enough sleep and I can't efficiently think up a creative way to get her to sleep on such a fuzzy sleep deprived mind. I have never been sleep-deprived before this, in my whole short 3.75 yrs of parenthood. This is not fun.But trials are our greatest ally, right? I think I can, I think I can.

Laughingly though, last night Olivia woke when Sam and I were going to hit the sack early (10:30) to hopefully get some rest to deal with the nights un-festivities. She wouldn't go back to bed. So, Sam made her stand in the middle of the living room in one spot. She couldn't wasn't to move from the spot until she said she'd go to bed and miraculously she didn't move from the spot. Sam and I sat on the couch in front of her, ignoring her, while she fitted, hollered and tantrumed and gave one another massages with our magboy magnetic massager. Sam said that was his favorite form of punishment yet :)

I am considering video taping her with our new digital camera while she is throwing a fit and let her watch it, I wonder if that would deter her...yeah right.

Both girls are SUPPOSEDLY napping, I just put O back into her bed for the 4th time in the last hour. We'll see how long I get to nap before she wakes me. I give it 12 minutes. I am praying for an hour. Then, on to dinner prep and putting her to bed a whole hour earlier in hopes she will go to sleep earlier and get a good night's rest and not be so behaviorally challenging tomorrow. A mom can dream, right?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I like the title too! And boy do I feel your pain. If I could have one thing it would be to sleep through the night with no one waking me and be able to wake up on my own!!!

Millionaira said...

welcome to my world...it does get better though! eventually, but i'm lovin' the stand in the middle of the room thing!!!!

(((HUGS)))