Saturday, September 06, 2008

Way Up High In The Apple Tree

Two little apples smiled down at me
I shook the tree
As hard as I could
And down came the apples
Mmm! Mmm! They were good

So we have an apple tree in our backyard. I thought they were crab apples but apparently they aren't. Or if they are--they make the yummiest fresh apple juice I have EVER had. This morning, Olivia came up to Sam and I and asked if she could have an apple. We didn't have any. Peaches, grapes, pineapple, pears--yes...but no apples. Sam suggested we go outside and try the ones on the tree. Thus began our morning adventure. How fun to see Sam and the girls pick apples! Sam would shake a branch and the girls would run to pick them up and put them in their cute little baskets. We gathered about two gallons worth of apples. Sam broke out the apple peeler, corer, slicer--I love you, Pampered Chef! An hour later, we had 9 racks of those apples drying out in our dehydrator, 1.5 qt of applesauce (homemade applesauce on toast is so good--I love it even more on peanut butter toast), apples for a apple cobbler and three-quarters of a pitcher of apple juice.

Watch out, Jack LaLanne! If your home juiced apples taste this good, I now know why people buy your juicer! (Ours is a Nutri Source.) It is SOO good. It tastes like apple lemonade to me. The juice itself is so clear. Most of the fresh apple juice I have had in the past was very frothy but this wasn't at all. Sam's mom gave us the juicer we have now and he says this one was likely made to make good, non frothy apple and carrot juice. In addition to that, I think it must have something to do with the kind of apple. These apples were green blushed with red flavored with just enough sweet too temper the tart. All I have to say is that I love my mother in law because that stuff is dang good. So good that I climbed the apple tree to get some more apples--they filled a 4 gallon bucket just shy of half full. Ah the goodness of nature.

11 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

How fun! And I'm loving the visual of you climbing the apple tree.

Lewis Family said...

YUM! We want to plant some fruit trees in our huge yard. Next year probably.

Anonymous said...

YUM!! apples

chellae said...

Sounds so lovely. We live in apple picking country and I am trying to calculate whether or not I'll have time to pick my favorite apples (honey crisps) from my favorite orchard and put them up as apple sauce before this baby comes. FYI, most apple trees produce what would be considered crab apples for some years before the tree matures and produces its normal crop.

Ambrosia said...

Thanks for the info, Chellae! I've learned something! I hope you get to get your apples--I've never heard of honey crisps before--they sound wonderful.

The Mathews Family said...

Oh Tisha you have to try a honey crisp. The Allred Barn near the stadium is set to get the first of their HC harvest on Sept. 20th... I can't wait!

And I love the way that you write. I can totally visualize what you're describing as I read your posts. You are amazing! I wanna see pictures of all of the "fruits of your labors"!
-Jessica

Natalie Pyles said...

Hey Tisha,

sounds delicious. love hearing about how you guys are doing. love and miss you,

natalie pyles

Lonnie said...

Tisha my love! I haven't visited your blog for a while and I've missed you! You are so eloquent, you paint a picture with every word! I can just smell yummy appleness wafting from your home - can I come over?! Fall definitely brings good things and an abundance of apples is one of them, especially if you have your own tree! I also am so impressed with your food storage, wow I have none. It would be so fun to go case shopping - hope you get lots of good stuff! Love ya!

Elozia Marie said...

I'm now hungry for dried apples and applesauce, and all sorts of apple dishes! Yummy!

Talia said...

Sounds great! So when are you going to post some pictures of your new house? I am dying to see it (inside and out).
Love ya! Talia

Handsfullmom said...

What a bonus! There's just something wonderful about a fruit tree on your own property.