Today in church, I was able to sit in Relief Society and listen to a lesson. We were visiting Sam's parents ward and I enjoyed my time to sit and be taught--I am currently the Mia Maid Teacher in my ward and I love it but it was especially nice to sit and listen to a lesson in RS. I really love Relief Society and have missed it. So as we talked about Sister Elaine Dalton's talk "A Return to Virtue" the teacher shared a story that left an impression. It went something like this.
One day Satan and his minion were sitting and watching people walking to and fro on a busy sidewalk. Satan leaned over to his minion and said, "Go over to that man, sit on his shoulder and tell him that he is discouraged." The minion did just this. Once he was settled on the shoulder of the man he said," You are discouraged." The man answered," No I am not." A second time, the minion said," I am telling you, you are discouraged." The man questioned his previous self evaluation," You think so? No, surely not. I am not discouraged--Am I?" Again the minion said," Yes, you are discouraged. I am sure of it." The man answered,"Well, I guess you are right. I AM discouraged." The minion hopped off the man's shoulder and returned to Satan.
Satan spotted another man and told his minion to tell this new passerby the same thing. The minion proceeded forth to do his shameful business. Once on the shoulder of this second man, he leaned over and began to tempt the man into believing that he should be discouraged. The man listened and then concerted," No, I am not discouraged." The minion tried again. The man remained firm the second time around," No, I am certainly not discouraged." The minion told him that he was most assuredly discouraged. The man replied," No, You are a liar. I am not discouraged." The man continued walking and the minion hopped down from his shoulder. The minion returned to Satan to give his report. He said," I could not convince that man that he was discouraged. He assured me that he was not discouraged in the least and then called me a liar after all that I am feeling quite discouraged."
This story has left me with alot of food for thought. Lately, I have been feeling quite overwhelmed in certain aspects of my daily life and stewardships. In other areas, I don't feel overwhelmed at all. After hearing this story, I wonder if I have allowed myself to be worn down by my own assertions of feeling overwhelmed that I don't leave room for growing out of those suppressing feelings into feelings of increased capacity and capability. Just because I feel overcome with certain things doesn't mean that I have to wallow in the muck of those feelings and stay in that place. But with all that is a balance--the balance of knowing when to say no and when not to overextend myself with the balance of enduring to the end and allowing myself to remember that I can do hard things when I call upon the help of the Lord.
Abraham Lincoln said," With the help of that divine being, I cannot fail. Without it, I cannot succeed." How true, how true.
In Phillipians it says, " I can do all things thru Christ who strengtheneth me."
So this week, this is my focus. I will go thru the week and remember that with the help of the Lord that I can do the things that I have a hard time with--that I can become better and that my capacity can and will increase. So here I go. I will be on watch for wicked minions and stand ready to flick them off my shoulders. Onward, ever onward.
9 comments:
Amen (yet again), Sister! You have a knack for writing about how I am feeling; I guess that's why we are kindred spirits. Miss you. Good luck this week, I will be flicking,too!
Again, this is why I wanted to take you with me wherever I moved...but I guess a blog will suffice. Thanks for this today!! And I'm the Beehive teacher...I love it, but definitely miss RS.
I don't believe that I have ever commented on one of these things. First I will mention that all who read this can clearly see why I am so lucky. My good wife though human and feels overwhelmed at times is indeed an angel sent to lift up everyone she meets. She has always drawn on the strength of the Lord and so has always been a strength to others. My advice to other husbands is to read your wife's blog, you just might learn something about her and about yourself.
Exactly what I needed to hear today. Thank you.
Tisha, you're right. Life can be overwhelming sometimes (I'm going through a bit of that right now too), but we don't have to let it distract us from the most important things.
We sang a song as a choir a while back that I like to sing when I'm feeling a bit discouraged or overwhelmed. I love the message: "Cradle me Lord, in your arms of love, Cradle me, Lord, I am weary, Cradle me Lord, in your arms of love, I need to feel you near me. Come, O Lord, in your gentle way, come, O Lord, I am lonely, Come, O Lord, in your gentle way, I need to feel you only."
Perhaps the words resonate so much with me because I so often feel weary and in need of Heaven's help, and so many of my prayers over the years have been variations of the words in the song, "Father, I'm tired, please help me." Sometimes I'm too tired for even that prayer, and I just cry, "Father, help!"
And he always does. =)
You are awesome. I was in tears just last night feeling overwhelmed and discouraged. This is something I needed to read. And you are so eloquent, too. Thanks for your sweet spirit.
What a sweet post and a sweet comment from your hub.
Friend, this is one of the many reasons that you are so endearing to me. You constantly strive and reevaluate where you're at... to become a better person. Along the way you share your bits of wisdom and it is a reminder that not one of us is "perfect" but we can always strive to be better. You always inspire me!
-Jessica
Tisha,
Thank you for this!
LOVE YOU!!
Tisha I love you. Have you ever read "Fancy Nancy"? If you haven't you and your girls would adore it. The synopsis is about a girl who surrounds herself with everything fancy and tries to help her family become fancy too. Her family agrees to letting her make them fancy and her parents suggest they go out to dinner all dressed up. At the end of the evening she ends up tripping and spilling dessert all over her fancy clothes and goes home miserable. After she gets all cleaned up and tucked into bed her parents kiss her say they love her. She looks them in the eyes and says, "I love you too. There isn't a fancy, or better way of saying that." There are many things about this story that remind me of you. The main one is that I really love you and there really isn't a better way of saying it. Ever since we first talked on the phone I knew you would be a sister, someone who I would have great connection with. That was over 10 years ago - and even though we hardly ever see each other or even get to talk on the phone, that connection is there. I love reading your blog because I not only get a little update on your family, but I also get to feel that strong Tisha spirit that continues to inspire me and lift me up. All the comments (I especially loved Sam's) say so much about you as a person. You help us all want to be better. I love you Tish.
Post a Comment