Tuesday, August 11, 2009

First Lesson

Have I mentioned that we have decided to homeschool this year? Well, we have. Believe it or not ya'll, we are excited about it! This decision has been coming quietly but definitively since Olivia was 3 years old. It all began as little nudges that hinted that we would be homeschooling at some point and it has increasingly felt right ever since. Olivia enjoyed public school last year, it was a childhood dream of sorts for her to go to Kindergarten. She has known that we would be homeschooling but when she was 5 she asked if she could go to Kindergarten. I loved the school, her teacher, the area and so we did it. We loved it.

When we moved into our new home and new area, we loved her new teacher. Olivia made lots of cute friends and had a blast but we felt even more that it was right that we homeschool for 1st grade. We don't know what the future years of school will hold. We are strictly focusing on this year. As our curriculum (K12) arrived, we got even more excited. We have the coolest books and materials.

I have been thinking of how to create the perfect school room or corner and how to get organized. I planned on starting the first week of September but today we went to a friend's house to observe her homeschool. We got home all gung ho. Maia and Michaela were down for their nap and Olivia was reading quietly in the craft room. I looked up her first Language Arts lesson, looked over it, gathered the needed materials and I climbed on the futon with her and we began.

An hour and a half later, we were finished. It was a good first lesson, we enjoyed spending the time learning together. Normally, a full day would consist of 2-4 subjects but we just did the one lesson to get started and get a feel for the subject while the little girls were asleep. Tomorrow, I am going to attempt the full Wednesday schedule. *Crossing Fingers and Praying Hard*

Homeschool baby step #1 down. Phew.

6 comments:

dee said...

i knew you could do it. Olivia is like a sponge for knowledge(she takes after her maternal grandmother). Just don't finish the high school lessons this week!

Stephen and Gabrielle said...

That is totally cool! Of course I am little biased, but I am excited that you are trying out the homeschool waters.

Rachel said...

Congratulations! It is one of the most rewarding experiences to teach your child. Good luck!

Suzanne said...

We're considering homeschooling, as well, and I've heard good things about the K12 curriculum. I look forward to hearing how this school year goes for you guys!

kim said...

I can't wait to hear more about what you think. We decided to homeschool this year as well, although I'm taking more of an unschooling approach to it--I figure especially right now, its kindergarten and we're learning all the stuff they should anyway, so we might as well enjoy another year of fieldtrips and reading together and playing as much as we can.

Good luck with the start of school! And I'll be posting pictures of our new art room/craft room on my blog in the next couple weeks if you want any ideas. :)

Melinda said...

very ambitious, tisha, but it's to be expected--you're an exceptional person! remember my homebirthing sister katie? she also homeschools her six kids. if you need any motivation, ideas, tips, (which you probably don't) i'm sure she'd love to help. they still mention you and how cool you are, so yeah, we're all big tisha fans.