Monday, June 08, 2009

Distressed




I decided to distress the table. What do you think? The more I see it in the room, the more I like it. I think the distressing was a good idea because my kids are always in there putting toys on the table and climbing (against house rules) all over it. All that said, I am thinking I will get some stain and rub it into the distressed parts to add some depth and warmth. Do you think I need to?

10 comments:

Alissa said...

love the distressing... i think with 3 kids, you HAVE to distress it. or it will become naturally distressed in no time. i think rubbing some stain in would look great.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I would for sure do the stain. Looks great!

Handsfullmom said...

I saw the title for this and thought, "Oh no, Tisha's having a tough time and she's feeling distressed." Then I clicked through and saw the table. It looks lovely!

Rachel said...

When I walked into your house last week, I noticed how good your table looked, but forgot to say anything. Anyway, I think your house is really cute. You've got an eye for decorating. I think the stain would look good.

Molly said...

It looks soooo good! You need to post the steps. Did you document for those of us less talented than you?

Ambrosia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ambrosia said...

Thanks ya'll. I will definitely do the stain.

Molly-I am actually incredibly inexperienced with this type of stuff. This is my first piece except a mirror that I did in the same room.

I sanded it, primed it, then used a flat black paint that I hated. So I lightly resanded and then painted glossy oil paint. After it dried and cured for a day or two, I took the electric sander and just went around the edges and curves on the legs that I liked and wanted to pop more. And Voila!

I have another project up my sleeve now. I am copying it from a my friend's blog. I can't wait to show it but if I get it done in the next month it will be a miracle.

Lewis Family said...

AUGH! I am so distressed that you distressed it (although I really do understand, I just hate distressing on principle)! You can't make me admit I like it! CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T!

Rian Krommenhoek said...

The table looks great! If you want to warm it up I would rub a red stain into the distressed parts, but then again I'm always for more color.

mimi said...

Rub the red stain over the distress, It would give it a great patina-mom