This coffee table and I have a history. We have been together since I was in 6th grade I think. My mom kept a big pillow underneath it and my sister Traci and I would pull it out and watch TV. My mom gave it to me when Sam and I were first married. It was brown and looked like it had been around for a while so after spending alot of time at the Thrifty Decor Chick and Domestic Fashionista I decided it was time for me to paint it black. Let me say that when it comes to painting furniture, I am a fan of oil paint all the way. I did do a gray primer and then a coat of satin black latex paint but it just looked kind of sad. So I went over it with a coat of glossy oil paint the same paint I used on a mirror hanging in the same room. I am digging it. However, I am unsure if I should sand around the edges or not. What do you think? It would be distressed in the same way as the mirror.
I know this is a weird picture. I cropped out our family name plate thingamajig from the top.

And for my friend, Alissa--here is picture of the beadboard that my handsomely handy husband put up. It was a snap and click sort not the large sheet you can find at Lowe's. Sam preferred it and I agree. The kit came with the baseboards--which you can't see here. I am going to give it a clear coat of polyurethane. I was going to paint it the same color as the cabinets but since all the other wood tones in the room are blonde colored I have decided to not paint it. Here is a sneak peek of it before the stain. I could have taken a better shot of the room to show how well it does fit in BUT I haven't cleaned the kitchen for the evening yet and it was somewhat cluttered. So, I left that part out. I am sure you understand. ;) The whole project was under $30.
And this is one of my next projects. I found this on the corner on my neighbor's yard. Tomorrow is bulk trash collecting in our neighborhood. It opens like a toy chest...ah sweet storage. Now I just need to figure out what color to paint it. I think I am going to use it a sofa side table. I think I will use it to store games and blankets. If hubby says it is sturdy enough I could upholster the top and use it as a sort of ottoman chest seat. It will be in the same room as the black coffee table, the black mirror and that gorgeous painting in the last picture.
15 comments:
I have no idea what to do with the coffee table. The style isn't exactly shabby sheik, but it might be nice to match the mirror. I would however paint the toy chest a bright accent color (lime green, orange, or bright blue) and then put a cushion in a coordinating fabric on top for extra seating. Great find. Happy refinishing.
If your kids are like mine, your table will become naturally "distressed" in short order, so you might as well distress it yourself. Then it won't be so distressing when you find that first knick in it. LOL
That toy chest is a GREAT find. I can't believe someone was getting rid of it! I'm much too timid to paint something that large a bright color, so in my house it would end up being distressed black, too. :)
Would you do a bright accent color if it was going to be in a formal-ish living room and not a kid's room? I say "ish" because it is the room that you see first when you come in, it stays the most tidy and is used the least but it is still used as the reading room and the room the kids like to run and slide on the floor on.
The things people will throw into a landfill! Good find, you. And DON'T distress the poor table. It's been through enough already. Seriously, I HATE distressing furniture. I like it to look pretty and new. It will look old when it gets old, duh! And I'd say to paint the chest a medium shade accent color from the room you are putting it in, with a fabric to match on top with probably a pattern on it and button tufting. That would be nice. I can't wait to see pics when you decide and get it done.
yes, i would still paint it a brighter accent color... a fabulous burnt red or something (provided that's in your scheme)...
love the beadboard. i really want some, but matt's concerned with how difficult it might be to clean say... banana out of all those little grooves... i must admit to being able to see his point.
you have me all motivated to tackle my bathroom cabinet project for tomorrow!
Ok, I added a picture of the focal point of the room where my color inspiration is coming from. It is the painting of the tree.
Alissa--tackle the project, it is way fun. I will be looking for pictures!
For Mother's Day, I asked Sam to work on embellishing our front doorway project. I really hope we can finish it but all I want is to get started on it.
wow, you have amazing style. i'm very impressed with your decor--your house looks kid-free!
way to go
can you come do my house next?
That painting is WONDERFUL -- I love the colors. And I can't believe someone was throwing away that toy chest!
I'd say go ahead and distress the coffee table -- the kids will do it for you anyway at some point when they're banging around and bumping it, so why not make it look like it's supposed to be like that?
I love that painting. Such great colors. Just wanted to say that :) And I'd love to see what you do with the other projects.
I like the table to way it is, but can also see the point that it will 'naturally' distress with kids being around:)
What fun projects you have been working on! Everything looks great! I love decorating too and feel like I want to redo everything! But no time...
I caught myself up on all your posts that I hadn't read. I have always LOVED hearing your insights on life or anything for that matter, you really do have a wonderful perspective and gift for writing. Whenever I think about someone being able to paint a picture with beautiful, colorful words, I ALWAYS think of you!
Loved the post on your mom. It made me think of fun times at your house growing up in Monroe. She IS one awesome lady. Please tell her that from me. And you yourself, are one AWESOME mother and lady yourself. Always have been and always will be. Love you!
I agree with Rian. I think the table is nice and elegant and I don't think distressign it would improve it's appearance. I think it is okay to not match the mirror. As for the trunk...I also agree with Rian...do a fun color. Pick something out of your awesome tree painting. You probably don't want something that is going to compete with the art though. so...a color that accents the art, but doesn't compete for attention. Great find by the way!
If you are unsure on if you should distress the table, you could hold off for now and see how you feel about it after it's been in your room awhile. I think it looks great!
Personally, I'd leave the table alone. But what a pretty room!
Post a Comment