Tuesday, February 07, 2012
Mothering Pearl of the Day: Remember your Territory
I wanted to write this down because if I learn, remember and practice this then my frustration level as a mother will decrease rapidly. You all know this because ya'll are smart. It is this--
If you find yourself asking your children to do things over and over and over again, just get in there and do it with them. You may think they know how to do something, perhaps they should be able to do it alone, but that doesn't matter. Just get in there and work with them. Enjoy it. Take the time to -re-teach, re-train, re-connect even. ;) That reconnect is in there because you don't want to go in there with your mommy guns blazing. This should be a positive experience.
I am going to work at this for the next little bit. I want this little tidbit to influence the way I interact with my daughters. Motherhood is repetition. It is easy to forget this when you feel like you have been teaching 3 and 4 year olds how to clean their room and stay on task for at least 647 years.
They aren't likely to learn this skill by absorption or even thru the sterling example of an older sibling. This sort of thing is momma teaching territory. I just need a personal assistant to remind me of all my territories. They are getting so extensive and energy intensive I am starting to forget some of the oldie but goodies .I guess that is why the Spirit is so useful in mothering.
Hurrah for the Spirit! So, remember this the next time you saddle up, Mommas! Remember all your territories :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What a great reminder. I'm always inspired when I read your blog posts. Thanks, Tisha.
I have so been thinking this same thing... And application is still hit or miss. I just get tired of hearing NO! from my son about everything. Boy oh boy is he stubborn. I think I need to take a yoga class. Want to swap kid-watching? ;o) If only!
Post a Comment