Thursday, October 11, 2007

I am a Pregnant Breakfast Lush

Is that bad for me to say? LOL! It all started several weeks ago when I had a major protein craving and fried eggs sounded super good to me. Then I figured out they were even better cooked on a slice of brown sugar lunchmeat. So almost everyday, for 2-3 weeks, I have had 2 ham fried eggs. Then my very sweet husband, Sam, decided to treat me to breakfast in bed and added his famous and my favorite french toast to it. YUM! On weekdays, I just do the fried eggs and a slice of whole wheat toast with a little peanut butter with a little raw (heaven) honey.

Yesterday I wasn't feeling like eating much meat for dinner but I wanted PROTEIN-which has been the theme of this entire pregnancy. So I decided that my ham fried eggs with whole wheat pancakes, my home canned peaches, turkey bacon for the rest of the family and this chocolate soy protein shake with frozen blueberries and peaches sounded heavenly. It was and today, I am having the same thing for lunch..sans the protein shake..but I am sure that will be a snack later.

It's a good thing that eggs are on the list for the Brewer's Pregnancy diet or I'd be up a creek! And lest you think I am overeating, my weight gain is good and will be within the normal average of 25-30lb range. AND the eggs help me stay full many hours longer than other things. I thought this might be a great tidbit to record for future reference.

The IRONIC twist to this is that I have NEVER been a lover of breakfast foods. Really, I have traditionally been a HATER of breakfast foods. I grew up in a family where my dad would always make pancakes and I LOATHED them. I never liked syrup-still don't. Eggs and Bacon? BLECH! I would eat my mom's scrambled eggs when she added bacon bits and some cheddar cheese but that is as much as I would do. I did like french toast as long as it had NO syrup. Pancakes became doable in Jr. High when we went on a family trip where we had breakfast at IHOP-one of my dad's favorites. I wasn't thrilled to be there. BUT the chocolate chip pancakes made everything much better. Then after I was married, I discovered whole wheat blender pancakes with a little butter and honey and that is when I could eat them.

ANYWAY...it just goes to show my mother is right. I have always liked weird food combinations and she told me once that she thought I'd crave regular foods, like peanut butter and jelly, when I was pregnant. She was right, I began to like peanut butter and jelly during my first pregnancy. :)

No comments: