Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The Sweetest Thing

I love to read. I always have. My love for reading is a gift my own mother gave me. It is at the top of my simple pleasures list. I have discovered a new one that comes in at a very close second. Reading to my daughter. Olivia will be 5 on Halloween. I have always read to her and I have always enjoyed it but I just started reading chapter books to her and we are LOVING it.

It has been so soothing and refreshing, adding a new dimension to our mother/daughter relationship. It is exciting to read books to her that I loved as a child. It is neat to be able to teach her the meaning of words she doesn't know. It is fun to anticipate, laugh and talk together about what is going to happen next and getting giddy to read the next day. It makes me excited and gives me ideas of all the fun activities just from reading a books for homeschool. It brings back warm memories of my mother reading to me, how restful and enriching it was to our relationship. How much it made me love her and want to be with her in that moment forever.

There is nothing like sharing something you love with someone you love beyond all measure. It is literally magical. I guess it all comes down to the fact is that, in many ways, I am giving the best parts of myself to her. These are the moments that make motherhood so very sweet.

1 comment:

mimi said...

Great thoughts, cucmerbund!
(tho' you are too big too put your arms around me now!) It is greatwhen your kids reach those milestones.
See you next month,
mimi