Monday, January 07, 2008

Books of the New Year


This year, I want to read more literature. Besides fun parenting books, I read a lot of LDS romance novels for leisure reading, but I wanted to get into other types of novels. A good friend told me she was reading The Red Tent. I remember a friend in high school telling me a little about it. So I was intrigued enough to check it out from the library. I do like it but I still not sure if I like it completely. That said, it is a very captivating and very well written.

*UPDATE* The more I read it, the more I am finding it is not a book I want to finish. I have a feeling it will bother me rather than be one that adds to my spirit. So even though my curiosity wants to finish it, my gut (and a friend who is familiar with how I take things in and process them) says that I will be better off not finishing. So, I am going to read Jane Eyre--a likely good fit for this tender hearted romantic.

Next, I want to finish The Screwtape Letters (a book I began in 2002) and Pride and Prejudice--a book I never finished but still managed to score an A on for my senior english book analysis. That was the year that I discovered the 6 hr A&E version of the movie.


As far as children's books go, we are big Mo Willems fans here. Last year we discovered his Elephant and Piggie Series with titles like Today I Will Fly and My Friend is Sad--the former being our favorite. We were very happy when Santa awarded us with afore mentioned masterpiece ;) Well, at our last library trip, we checked out his newest books I Am Invited to a Party and There is a Bird on your Head--can you say hilarious?? Our favorite new quote is WE MUST BE READY!! *you'll have to read them to know what I am talking about* and there is nothing like hearing your two yr old playfully yelling that phrase. We ALL begin to laugh or grin widely at that--Sam included.

So, all you moms, dads, grandparents and anyone who likes to read a good children's book, you have to check out these books if you want a fun read with the kids in your life! Our other Mo Willem's faves: Knuffle Bunny and Edwina, The Dinosaur Who Didn't know She Was Extinct.

And now I better jump at the chance to read my book while all is quiet at my house--of course right when I typed that the baby started to whimper a little, how do they know??

4 comments:

Melinda said...

we like "leonardo the terrible monster", also mo willems. i just finished the "poisonwood bible" by barbara kingsolver, i don't know if i would recommend it, but it was really interesting, i guess i liked it. a friend lent me "the historian" by elizabeth kostova, and i just can't get through it, but i've been plugging along so i can tell her i finished it. i don't know how to tell her "i don't like the book, the writing style, the story, the subject matter, and i still have 300 more pages to go." how do i do that?
love, melinda

Ambrosia said...

Hey Sparkly Eyed Melinda! I don't think your friend would be offended if you tell her that the book wasn't for you and that you weren't into it. My friend who recommended The Red Tent reads my blog and I don't think she'll care. I will be sure to check out "Leonardo the Terrible Monster"

I went to get Jane Eyre and it was checked out. So I just found a LDS romance novel...back to my old ways..lol.

Sara said...

Ambrosia :)

I found your blog and have linked you to mine, if that's okay with you (I'll be happy to unlink you if you want!) - I love to see what you guys are up to. Your birth story made me totally teary-eyed btw - you are such an amazing woman.

Anyway - I read "The Red Tent" and thought it would be fabulous because of the subject matter - and instead I just ended up feeling all icky and disturbed inside. I vote for not finishing it! So not worth the time.
We do love Mo Willems, though - the Pigeon books are the biggest hit at our house.

Hugs! Allie

rachel said...

Tisha, I really appreciate this post. There have been times where people have recommended books, movies etc.to me and I have found they make me uncomfortable or offend me. It is a good reminder that everyone has to be their own judge and know when to put the book or movie or whatever down.