Today, we did Music, Language Arts and Math. This is a first for us, three subjects in one day, that is. Maia and Michaela joined in on the fun and we had a great time jumping around, playing some musical instruments,learning songs and playing musical games. I have to say that I am feeling pretty dang satisfied with myself today. The little girls, especially Maia, loved being needed and included in on the lesson. It made me feel like a good mom because I interacted, acted silly and taught them some new songs, games and music terms for a whole hour. It was a triumphant Mommy day. I needed that.
I am growing into a better mom and a better teacher. I am becoming a bit more patient. It is still nuts though, lest I lead you to believe it is easy. It is so not. I still have so much organizing to go BUT we are doing it and I am so proud that we are beginning to see some blossoms as we have begun this most important labor.
Today, Olivia wrote a letter to her friend, Ameillia. I took pride in knowing that her sentences were capitalized. I was gleeful to see words were spelled correctly and spaced a nice distance from each other. Her handwriting is improving and she is growing up right before my eyes as we identify subjects, predicates and learn the preliminary laws of addition and subtraction. As I perused her letter to Ameillia, I teased her about how her sentences were not punctuated and she laughed as she added periods and exclamation marks. I did that. I taught her that. These few short weeks have been worth the doubt, the aggravation, the tears and the babysteps of figuring out how we were going to accomplish this goal.
It has been all done in the face of curious and loving supporters and even perhaps some skeptics. You know who you are and I love you for it. *Group Hug!* *High Five!* Now, I am off to put my nose back to the homeschool grindstone..tomorrow morning anyway. Until then, back to the the mommy/housewife grindstone :)
4 comments:
So glad you are finding your homeschooling groove! Some days I think we have it down, and other days I wonder what exactly we did all day. But I'd wonder the same thing in school, too, so I think we're ok :)
We've been playing Yahtzee to work on adding (I make Bean keep score and she loves it!) I'm always trying to find fun number games. And there's more ideas on my blog of things we've been doing too.
You are amazing and I just love you!
I'm so proud of you! You're amazing for just jumping in. I think about homeschooling all of the time and it's very appealing to me on so many levels. I think we'll start around 3rd grade...
-J
I loaded the pix so how about the story with the Louisiana fieldtrip?
Post a Comment