Well, we are back from vacation and we are getting started on getting the real deal of homeschooling rolling. What a learning experience! That was anticipated on many levels and despite having crazy kid days when it comes down to getting down and deep into Spelling, Vocabulary, Grammar, Math and Reading Comprehension with good ole Aesop. I love it. Truly.
The challenge is getting Science and Music in on the schedule. It isn't overwhelming but it is more about getting our time management under even better control and just plain finding our groove. I'm not worried at all. Yesterday was the first day of me thinking of how I needed a bumper sticker that said, "Yes, I homeschool. Yes, I am insane for doing it but, nonetheless, I love it." The girls were cranky, Michaela was tantruming. Olivia pulled a card (our term for not doing so hot with her behavior) but we rallied surprisingly enough. I kept calm, used humor and stay focused as the teacher and we got back to our happy place.
The current trick is really finding small lessons to do with Maia. She wants more than me giving her worksheets that reinforce what she is learning in preschool, coloring pages and educational websites. She wants me to really sit down and give her a lesson. I have a few tricks up my sleeve. We shall see how that goes. It will be a constant evolution of figuring that out but I think once we start Music class (she will be heavily included in this course--or so I anticipate) she will be more satisfied.
In other news, we had our first homeschool field trip while in Louisiana. I will tell all when my mother (Hint, Hint Verda ;) ) emails me the pictures. I was dumb and opted not to bring my own cool camera along on that fieldtrip.
I have other stories but I really need to upload pictures so I can enhance them with some visual goodness.
Maia, my heart, turned 4 years old on Tuesday too. I have pictures for that too.
So that is my report.
5 comments:
Sounds exciting. We just started back with preschool. Coy still talks about missing Maia. we should do a field trip together.
Glad things are going well. I really want you to hook up with my friend that homeschools. Her name is Aly and she, like yourself, is absolutely amazing. Can't wait to hear more!!
Happy Birthday, Maia!
And it sounds like you've got a great attitude about homsechooling!
Olivia and Maia are so different in their learning styles. This is going to be a big challenge initially, but I know you can do it.
You are truly an amazing woman, Tisha! You have the patience I pray to have in those crazy moments of motherhood. You are such a great example to me! Keep up the great work!
Post a Comment