This morning, Olivia and I were doing Math in homeschool. We were doing our addition unit review. I supplemented by doing addition flashcards regularly so that in addition (no pun intended) to learning how to add that she would also memorize those basic ones we encounter all the time.
Math has always been my least favorite subject in school. I have always struggled with it, especially if the concept was intangible to me. I always told myself I was not good at Math and that I didn't have a mathematical mind. As I got older, there are some areas of Math that I became confident in and loved, but to spend 4th grade thru 9th grade truly thinking you are a complete mathematical incompetent is crippling to one's academic sense of self. This is a mindset I have always tried to avoid passing along to my girlies.
So, when it has come to teaching Math to my girls, I have wanted to teach them in ways I wish I would have been taught and to make it tangible where possible. Fast forward to this morning, we were doing our unit review and teaching a new way to add. I thought it was a pretty cool method, very nice for the kinesthetic, visual and even auditory learners out there. It made me excited and in that moment of reckless fervor I had this thought.
I LOVE MATH!! *gasp* *disbelief* *confusion* *relief* Golly Gee, Mom has had a breakthru!
I like Math! Phew! Love it even. Nice ;) Math can be fun even when you are making out aren't doing viral titers in school (Be still my heart, I did love major and my job as a Medical Technologist) or learning fractions thru cooking (again another throbbing heartbeat).
Ok, ok,ok, let me stop wafting thru a field of poppies and acknowledge that I do understand that I am only teaching first grade Math. Just a couple days ago, a good friend of mine made the comment of not enjoying some aspects of 3rd grade Math. BUT this little breakthru of mine is building my mommy's muscles so I will be fit to meet that challenge when it comes in a couple years. Until then, (and maybe I should just whisper it but since I tend toward excitement and jumping up and down vs. reservedness--is that a word?) I LOVE MATH! Geez, did I really just say that?
4 comments:
math is your friend, your teachers told you that it would be used on a daily basis! You go, girl!!
This is totally what I am looking forward to about homeschool - learning along with the kiddos. I expect to find some new passions (or at least lay some old fears to rest).
Great breakthrough! I do love that I can now see how useful various parts of math are throughout the day.
I'd love to hear what the new addition method you learned today was. I'm always looking for new ways to teach stuff. Right now we're still in the counting it out stage.
Math is also very useful in quilting and in counting your kids. I love math too!!
Post a Comment