
Happy last bit of February! This time last year we were on pins and needles wondering if Paiser (her new mother branded nickname) would show her face. She was still playing hide and seek and you all were thinking I was either a saint or crazy for holding the kid in for so long. Remember that? Well, Maiser (the other nickname I just might use the most..besides Stinkster or Stinky--she doesn't really stink, I just like the way is sounds) is growing and getting.into.everything. She likes to open cabinets, drawers and rifle thru trashcans to see what she can find. I am trying to think of a good birthday present for her to open and close.
I am seriously considering some tupperware drawers, tupperware containers that are all her own and then maybe some kid shape sorting blocks and kitchenware. How long do you think that will keep her out of MY kitchen cabinets...yeah, I know... it won't. Maybe if I can convince Sam to get the child locks on the cabinets for my birthing present, it will work. So, Maiser is running all over the place, squealing in mimic of her sisters and her new skill is catching balls. She is remarkably good at it for an almost one year old.
While the Maise runs around the house, good ole Mom has taken to running at the Fitness Center nearby. My homeschool mom friend, Rachel, and I are taking part in a Fitness Challenge Biggest Loser style with a group of family and friends. We are trying to win. At the beginning of the year, Rachel suggested we train for a 5K as a part of our fitness program.
If you know me, you know that I don't run. I will run stadiums and chase down ANY tennis ball out of the court but running bores the cahoodles right out of me. But, ironically, I was up for it. We are doing the Couch to 5K program and it is neat to see our progress. I remember back at the beginning when running for 3 minutes was like the promised land. This week we are to run for 20 minutes straight.
We know we have trained to be ready for this but 20 whole minutes? The longest we have run is like 10-11 minutes. I am ready for it. I hope my body is. As a part of our "last chance workout" last week, our goal was to exercise 12 hrs for the week before our Monday morning weigh-in. I only got to 9 hrs for the week before NEEDING to take it easy and skipping my Saturday workout. My body is feeling it. I tried for 20 straight minutes last night but had to break it up. I ran for 12 straight, walked for 2, ran for 6, walked for 1 and sprinted the last minute.
I share this because I am learning so much about myself. Mostly, that I can do things that I thought I never would. It has helped me in the face of mothering and even prepared me to face real life challenges. I really have become a bit of an addict. Rachel's husband says that we are gym addicts. I guess we are. I am starting to think of new running shoes and exercise clothes.
Running, zumba, kickboxing, weight lifting, step classes, a bit of pilates and even a short-lived (one time wonder) cycling have been the other blaring part of my existence for the last 6 weeks besides wiping noses (and tooshies--did I mention that Michaela is pottytrained?), keeping Paiser out of the cabinets and rolling around on the floor with the girls. I am proud to report that I have literally worked my hindparts off. It's true, I have a pair of gym pants that are baggy in the hips, lower abs and butt. I am so excited!! I guess envisioning my hiney shrinking while feeling the burn was helpful. I still have more to go but this first bit of progress that I can personally see and feel thrilled about is motivating!
I love exercise classes though. I like the zumba skirts even better. I think I might be forced to buy one. After borrowing one from a friend, they are addictive and shiny and pretty and chime and tinkle when you shake your hips thus making you want to shake said hips even harder. My girls are enchanted by them and they have also taken to running laps around the house so they can be like Mom. It's pretty flattering actually. Glad to see that I am rubbing off on them in a positive way. Well, that is my report. Who are my running peeps out there? I would love to hear how you got into it. And THANK YOU Mom for giving me that MP3 player. It has helped me to not bore my cahoodles. ;)
5 comments:
Great work Tisha! Working out with a friend is the best. That Biggest Loser competition sounds fun. I love the "last chance" idea. So fun!
I briefly toyed with running last year. I never thought I would, but I liked it and think it may be something for my future. But the thing I liked best are my awesome running shoes. They are so comfortable that they made me want to run. I have to say that exercising is extremely satisfying, especially when you have great shoes, fun clothes, and a great mp3 player. So relaxing!! So, good work and keep it up.
Well, Pish, you know I felt exactly like you about not running. I was never good at it in PE and as an adult, still didn't like it. Of course, my inspiration was the Biggest Loser, like for a lot of people. Jillian, in particular. As I was watching my recorded BL today, I wished that I could work out with Jillian just one day. I loved it when she made everyone on her team run faster than they normally did. When they were done and the camera was only on her, she said something like "Now what else do you do half-a--ed?" That hit me. The next time I run, I'm definitely running faster because I CAN DO IT! :) and you can too!
I'm very impressed with your mad running skills! I haven't run for a while, but when I was into it, I found that listening to NPR (I had a radio on my MP3 player) helped. Listening to the news stories kept my mind occupied the whole time! Music isn't enough for me. If you have an iTunes account, they also have a lot of free podcasts that are also pretty entertaining/mind occupying (I like This American Life--another NPR staple!) In any case, keep up the good work!
Love it! You are welcome, for the MP3 player, since it was laying around for te last year. Glad you got it in use. You go girl!! I like that about listening to NPR reports, they do a great job objectively reporting events.
Post a Comment