Monday, April 14, 2008

The UNCranky Report

Last week, I confessed my crankiness. This week I am happy to report that the whole early to bed and early to rise thing is definitely all that it cracked up to be. However, if I am being completely honest and accurate it was "EARLIER to bed and early to rise". My goal was to retire between 9:30-10:30pm. I did do this at the beginning of the week and towards the end it was more like 10:45-11pm and on one day 11:30 or 12am. BUT it has been much better. And the getting up about 6:50am is WONDERFUL! There is nothing like waking up in the lovely peace of the morning, sitting in the playroom on the futon, snuggling into a blanket, listening to the birds chirping, seeming to feel the earth awakeningwhile soaking in that serene feeling of the morning light increasing and the sun peaking over the mountains; now add to that reading my scriptures and journaling. There is no better way for the day to begin. The girls have also tended to sleep in about 15 minutes more since I began so I am getting a solid 15min-25min alone in the morning.

Now it wasn't all ease and I didn't make it everyday. I did it 4 days out of the 5 weekdays and nothing on the weekend early morning wise. It really has been a delight. However, this isn't to say that I haven't been cranky at all. I mean, come on, I am human, a woman, a mother of three small children. AND if you know me, I am not the mild mannered sort either. This mommies experiences lots of feelings and can express them when the need arises. So anyway, the crankiness is lifting.

We have begun to do a few more simple things to connect and be happy as girls throughout the day and we are having a superb time. A mother friend of mine mentioned to me that she reminds herself to play to her strengths as a mother. I have pondered that alot. So that is my focus this week--to focus on my strengths and develop them. I think I have a tendency to focus on weeding out or strengthening my weaknesses so much that I forget to enjoy my strengths.

She is so wise-- so that is what I am doing and so far it is a breath of fresh, fun air.

2 comments:

LittleFamilyJL said...

It's great to hear you are doing well with your goal. As you can see from the time of this comment, I still need to work on this....

maryirene said...

your girls are beautiful. i need that sleep schedule too. funny how our kids seem to know what is best for us sometimes. guess we need to take our own advice. glad to hear you are happier!