Today I happened upon a secret to help avoid this situation. Do I have your undivided attention? Let me share it with you.
You see I was vacuuming. The kids were breakfasted, dressed and ready for the day--part of the criteria that needs to be met before they watch tv while I get dressed. On the floor was that white laundry basket full of toys that needed to be put away. I told the girls to grab the basket and quickly see how many toys they could put away while I vacuumed. When the vacuumed stopped, their time was up. They complied because they knew it wouldn't last forever-- a few minutes of cleaning they could do. So I vacuumed the stairs.
In the time it took me to vacuum those 11 of the 12 stairs, BOTH girls neatly put away those toys in the basket. Olivia came out, grinned widely, pointed at me and said," WE BEAT YOU!" I smiled. I told her NO WAY..no way did they beat me. I told her she had to show me. I walked in that room and lo and behold..they had done it. I praised them, we cheered. No whining, no passive aggressive refusing to tidy , no threats on the security of their toys--nada. Just pleased giggles of triumph.
Now--do my girls have a completely tidy room right now? Nope. I would venture to guess that it would take 5 basket loads (that does include dolls and dress up clothes) on a very messy, pig stye level day. Right now, I think it is a 3 basket level of messy. But they did pick up. I think I will need to vacuum my downstairs at least twice a day now. This secret may not last me very long but I will work it for as long as it works. It helps them focus on what to do and not get overwhelmed by everything. I have made lists--do books, then clothes, then legos etc but that is only partially successful. I am going to try this out and see how it works. It is the magic bullet? No way! But anything that makes cleaning more fun is a good thing. I'll take it.
Besides, I really do love to vacuum.
5 comments:
Brilliant Tisha!!! You know it makes so much sense that that would work. Moms are always setting the timer for 15 minutes and racing to get stuff done within that time limit. Kids are the same. But you're letting them be in control, too, by setting their pace of how fast they want to go in that time frame. You're awesome! I'm totally trying this.
-Jessica
hope it lasts you longer than it did me. By the time the oldest was 5yo she didn't want to race me anymore :( Matthew still does so he can get a lot done in our races so I still get some help LOL
we've been doing something that's working wonders here... we call it the 15 minute cleanup. someone gets to pick the music and we ROCK OUT and dance around like crazy while our 15 minute timer ticks down. after 15 minutes we're done.
it's enough time to get the living room, dining room, kitchen, halls, stairs and some of their bedroom cleaned up.
Alissa--That is a great idea that I really will commit to doing. We love rocking out to music around here and I think it will be something that helps the girls alot. Olivia likes to listen to the Annie (the new one) soundtrack while I "make" her clean her bedroom--it's a hard knock life, ya know ;)
Hey, even if it only works for a little while, that was a little while of girls happily cleaning. You can't beat that!!
Post a Comment