Sunday, February 08, 2009

Perfect Match

If you know my husband and I, you either think we are a natural match or you think that we definitely are not---and probably wonder how we are still together. We do not think we are a natural match. Cute hubby was reading over my shoulder when I began this and he added that one of the reasons why we think we are not a natural match is that we are a very dynamic, strong willed couple. We are either "on" or "off"--there is no in between. So when we are "off" we often wonder when the last time it was when we got along. He is so smart. I love to hear his thoughts. All that said, we are a million percent sure that the Lord matched us for a purpose. All that said, we know that our goals, our mutual level of commitment, physical attraction and personal faith are the same--in that way we are a perfect match.

The other day I was on my way to a home organization class and found myself thinking about our relationship. We'd been "off" with one another and I brought it up for discussion before leaving for my class. We had a great talk--one where we stayed calm, swallowed lots of pride, expressed heartfelt concerns, feelings and shared ideas on how we could get back on track. During my drive, the song That's What Love is For by Amy Grant came on.

The words struck me because in our conversation Sam and I were simply asking for a greater show of love from one another. The requests, however, were a challenge for each of us to fulfill because we each wanted more love first. Talk about a rock and a hard place--we each want more love but don't want to show love to the other person until they show more love first. Oy vey. So the lyrics reminded me of a essential truth--the whole song makes great sense to us but here are the parts that softened my stubborn yet timid heart and ministered to my soul.

That's what love is for
To help us through it
Thats what love if for
Nothing else can do it.

Melt our defenses
Bring us back to our senses
Give us strength to try once more
Baby, thats what love is for.

Believing in the one thing
That has gotten us this far
Round off the edges
Talk us down from the ledges
Give us strength to try once more
Baby, thats what love is for
Thats what love if for.

LOVE. When we love, despite our reservations, it enables so much power where weakness and emptiness prevailed. We were sent to this earth to love, first and foremost. It is the one thing we can truly do perfectly. That is one of the purposes behind it.

When we were first married, I promised my Father in Heaven that I would always show love for my husband when I felt it; that I would show that love if and when I was prompted to do so..even when I was angry. Have I been perfect at this? YES! Just picking! Heck no!! I have tried. And I have done fairly well, if I do say so myself. But there have been times when I have royally stunk at it too--like those times when I suffered going to sleep with cold feet and went off to slumberland without that safe, cozy warm cuddly embrace because I didn't want to touch him because I was mad. Stupidity and pride--plain and simple.

LOVE people. That is what it is for. It really does talk us down from our ledges and give us the encouragement to try again and to do better. It doesn't take alot but it does take a willing and humble heart with a small, yet sincere effort. There is nothing better than hugging that handsome dude you love despite the fact that he just did something that makes you want to bury your face in the pillow and scream and ask God what you did to deserve this.

I am grateful for those times when we are fussing at each other but he looks so good I could just kiss him. I will have to admit that I have never kissed him in the heat of an argument--now that I said that I am sure I know what prompting will come up next time we are fighting. I am grateful for the times that he loves me enough to sweep the kitchen floor and load the dishwasher even when I have been a pushy broad of a wife. I am grateful when we both decide to get off our own the fences and put ourselves on love's side and show it--even though we want to receive it more than we want to give it. It is there that we learn that we get alot of receiving of love in the giving of it.

Lately, we've made comments like.."Maybe we are a better match that we think" and then we forget that when we ruffle one another's feathers and wonder how in the world we were tricked into marrying one another. But tonight, Sam saw that I had taken this quiz about "Which Twilight Character are you?" So he decided to take it too. Here are our results.

And the first words out of our mouths in response?

"Maybe we are a better match than we think!"
(Yes, we are both twilight fans. He has read all of them *gush*)

Apparently we are. *Sigh--phew!*

5 comments:

LittleFamilyJL said...

Great thoughts. I think you guys are a very cute couple.

kim said...

First of all, how great is that picture of the two of you?! You should frame that and put it up in whatever room you love to argue in so you'll never be able to get away without seeing it :)

We have our share of "how did we end up together" moments as well--but its awesome to also have those moments when you just can't imagine being with anyone else. As long as there is a balance, I think its all good.

maryirene said...

it's like you described me and jeffrey. wow. i was singing that song as i read it. i don't know why, but amy grant always touches my heart.
thank goodness we can always say sorry and i love you. lucky my husband usually think that's enough. thanks for sharing. marriage does take a lot of love, swallowing of pride, and prayer.

Handsfullmom said...

What a good reminder that marriage is a lot of work and effort, even for two very good people, like you and your husband.

rachel said...

Thank you for sharing that! Such a good reminder to me. You are wonderful.