
Late this summer, we went home to Louisiana to visit family. *Sigh* I love that place. While we were there, we decided to go on our first official homeschool field trip to the local Coca Cola Museum and Biedenharn Gardens. My hometown's claim to fame is that it was the first place where Coca Cola was ever bottled. Cool Beans, huh? So off to the museum and gardens went.

We got to drink Coke out of these cute 6 oz bottles for 5 cents. Can you believe it was the first time I ever got to pop the cap off a glass bottle on a Coke machine before? My mom was shocked. I think she felt old. We watched a video on the history of Coca Cola, it's bottling and the evolution of the Coca Cola glass bottle itself. Let me insert here that I am proud that I remember even that much a whole month later because we did have a few spills during the video. It's a miracle I (or Sam or Mom) left that place without being completely sticky. The sad part of the great 5 cent Coke deal is that we had to return the bottles. I was secretly hoping we'd get to keep them.


Then we got to see the kind of delivery truck they used to deliver the first bottles of Coke. Forget the ice cream man, dude, can you imagine how popular the Coke trucks would be now? I mean, you'd likely see swarms of women running out to that truck for some Diet Coke. I'll have to poll my friends who are avid Diet Coke drinkers on that. But I digress.

Afterward, we went next door to Biedenharn Gardens. It has been about 4 or 5 years since I had been there and even then I didn't go inside. So, things had changed some since I was last there. The neat thing about the gardens besides being gorgeous is that they have these neat garden pocket area with benches and water features where you can sit and enjoy the serenity of gardens. They have have these cool story baskets with coloring pages. The girls picked one about animals.
So, we sprayed on some "Off!" in the middle of the muggy Louisiana day and found a cool garden pocket. We read most of the books from the basket and played with the finger and hand puppets before the girls were lured away by the fountain behind us. From then on, they ran around like little women fleeing for their freedom. It was a magical, like the Secret Garden in the same named movie. It was magical, like I said, until the girls wanted to explore the fountain too thoroughly. We were lucky to have stayed dry enough though.


On our way out, we went thru the garden zoo area where you see all the different kinds of plants with animal names. It was fun to see and touch the Elephant's Ear, Snake Plants, Lamb's Ears and many others. We, then, returned our basket and headed back out to the car that was parked near the levee. So, I took the opportunity to climb the levee and then teach the girls what levees are for. We dug in the dirt and collected shells for an art project that has yet to commence.
And THEN to top off the day, Mimi (my mom), treated us to lunch at Johnny's Pizza. A pizza joint that is home to the "Sweep the Swamp" Pizza. I have sung praises to Johnny and his pizza making abilities but it wasn't until I sunk my teeth into that pizza that I remembered why I revered it the way I do. (We love you Mimi!) It was great day and the perfect way to start off our school year.

I did learn one other important lesson. No matter how lazy you feel, bring your camera. Mom's camera sadly died in the middle of our expeditions at the fountain. I didn't want to bring my big ole camera because I was afraid for its safety while we were out with the girls but I should have brought it. I missed capturing so many moments but I am happy to have to one we did. You live and learn. We sure did, in more ways than one.
4 comments:
I totally would chase a Coke truck, especially if they happened to sell Dr. Pepper as well.
I would chase a Diet Coke truck, esp. if it had a crushed ice dispenser.
I requested that as part of my mansion in heaven. My dad is working on it...those were some of his last instructions. :D
Oh... Johnny's Pizza. My favorite. I haven't had Johnny's Pizza in probably 15 years! That is so sad! And even though I lived in Monroe for many years, I never went to those gardens or the Coke place so thank you for allowing me to take the field trip too! It was delightful. And Amen about the camera thing, always carry your camera! And the levees... I do miss Louisiana too:)
Cool beans! I can't believe you remember that. You know I don't think I ever knew there was a Coke museum there. I have been to the gardens. I think our senior pics were there by the big fountain. Wow, I want to go back for a visit.
Thanks for the memories.
Post a Comment