Thursday, June 02, 2011

Healthier and Tastier

Kids love treats. My kids are treat fiends. Drives me nuts how much they ask for it. But let's get real, Momma goes searching for a little something 1- 2 times a day too. Bring on the healthier options, please! Case in point. Granola bars. All the common storebought options just aren't what I am looking for and I find them distasteful too. All sweet without much substance. The ones I do like are pricey and Momma is loyal to her budget. Enter this fine lady with this fine recipe.

Treats are still treats, just because they are a bit more nutrient dense doesn't mean we should be eating them all day. But I like them to contribute good components to our bodies. BUT they must taste good. Health without the taste is no fun. And I love me some fun. Especially health promoting fun.

Now I made these with 1/2c. honey and 1/3c. organic evaporated cane juice. I added choc. chips and pulsed up flax seeds. Next time, I am going to try a 1/4c. of agave nectar first and then go from there. The choc. chips add plenty of sweetness. I also used 1/2 the amount of canola oil and then used coconut oil for the other half. I also added some almond extract because it is a obsessive baking habit that I possess. I just can't NOT do it. They are soft and chewy. So nice.

Our rule is that we can only have one per day. I want to try some with dried cherries and sunflower seeds and flax. I haven't been able to convince my girlies to like much dried fruit yet. Except Paisey and Mika. It made 19bars, I believe. The girls helped me make them and it went surprisingly fast. It was a nice activity to do together. I dubbed it a listening exercise since the girls needed some practice listening and doing what I said instead of making requests all the time. There I go digressing again. I will be doubling the recipe next time. And there will be a next time, even the hubster said so.

2 comments:

Tara said...

I feel the same way about granola bars. Those look yummy. I really like Kashi TLC bars, but you're right. They are kind of pricey. I have to buy them in bulk from Costco or Amazon. But they're the only ones I've found that aren't high in sugar, and actually have something nutritious in them.

kim said...

I'll have to try these! We've been looking for a good granola bar recipe, and these do look good. My last ones were a little too sweet and a little to dry.