Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Path of Tender Mercies

Today I am happy.
Yesterday I was not.
I am learning more often than ever
The days of a mother are sometimes like that.
The girls were all crazy
And I was definitely all caught up in a tether.
I was literally feeling selfish, not wanting to serve and ill
I wanted the day the recover ALONE and on my own
But then the heavens parted and I was reminded that the Lord's tender merciful hand is, for me-- stretched out still.

I am not a poet but I felt a whack at it was in order. A very favorite person and dear friend of mine was a manifestation of the Lord's tender mercy to me this morning. After going visiting teaching we talked and visited like we always do. However, the fact of the matter was that as the day began I was hoping to not go visiting teaching. I put it to the back of my mind. My monday as a mother was a tiresome, somewhat manic one. We survived but it was discouraging to my maternal soul. My visiting teaching companion called to remind me that we had an appt.

Ok, now let me tell you quickly about this woman. She has six small children, 5 girls and a boy--ages 8 and under. I love to be around her. Her laugh is infectious and though it sounds corny, it buoys my heart to a place of contentment to see her do so. Talking to her about our roles and challenges as mothers makes me remember truths about motherhood that any evil force against this stewardship would have me forget. It is not necessarily about the absence of yelling or any other natural man tendencies we strive to overcome as parents but it is the presence of truth and purpose we bring to our homes and families.

This woman is just like all of us-sometimes she feels like yelling, pulling her hair out and run to the hills when the pressure of raising children gets too much BUT in the midst of it all--she uses the energy she has to purposely teaching her children good principles, the true gospel of Jesus Christ and sharing her love of the blessings in the world with them. AND she laughs--she laughs till she is tears. She experiences the joy that is her (as it is for all of us) purpose to experience in this life. I needed that this morning. I am sure glad the Lord was watching out for me and put Tara in my path to remind me of that when I wanted nothing more than to cross paths with noone today.

Oh and guess what? Today we are smiling and laughing. We are happy.

But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender cmercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of ddeliverance. (1 Nephi 1:20)

The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works (Psalms 154:9)

3 comments:

mj said...

thanks. i needed that today.

Lewis Family said...

Amen, Sister.

Anonymous said...

just what I needed. And I felt the Lord's tender mercies in a repair man that showed up early and an appt. that was rescheduled.