Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Dawn of Spring

Spring is like nature's Monday. The beginning of all that is to blossom and grow in the coming year. I tried my hand at some spring flower bed planting (which is done in the fall) and I am so pleased with how it is turning out. Compliments have boosted my excitement about applying this new skill and I can't wait to see how things continue to bloom. There is so much potential. My summer flowers are yet to be seen but they are filling out and readying themselves for display.

I am working on extending Spring's fresh splendor into our home. Spring cleaning is where its at around here. This year is my first official and in depth whack at it and I like the feeling of productivity and the potential of what could be. My house doesn't really look all that different but the more I get into the more it will. This year's spring cleaning has been motivated by the fact that we are gaining new life experience, an experience that we didn't think that we'd have. Layoffs. But this layoff has been a blessing in that we knew it was coming and we've had much more time to prepare for the potential hardships that can come with it. We were informed in February and the actual layoff date is June 9th.

We are feeling peaceful but active. We are readying ourselves for moves, stays, unemployment, first time home selling, lean means (I am grateful to still think of ourselves as living like college students) but hoping for the best and, frankly, we are seeing it. The Lord's hand is everywhere. It pops up and shows it merciful and glorious hand just like my spring flowers seem to expand and bloom almost overnight.

Not only has spring sprung but so has hope. Each step comes with something to get excited about and hope for. Some steps are less than thrilling but even those have expanded our perspectives and force us to face fear with faith. We have come closer as a family, my children are learning about fasting, praying for the Lord's will and about having hope in the unknown. Sam and I have become closer as a couple and we are doing this together. Our temple attendance has become a weekly occurrence. In the most recent General Conference, it was said that regular temple attendance helps to make a burdens feel lighter. Indeed it does.

Things could very well get worse and we are preparing for it as best as we can BUT this Pollyanna can't help thinking that the best of spring, even with its gloomy, wet days or feather ruffling snow is on the horizon. The snow does fall on my daffodils and makes them droop, however,when the snow melts they always rise back up seeking and receiving renewed strength from the sun. Lest we forget, April showers do bring May flowers. And no matter how rainy or snowy it is, those May flowers DO come. Even if they don't come until June. So, bring on the blooms, I say! Until then, I am relishing the ones that bring a smile to my face and spring hope in my heart right now.

7 comments:

Shawn said...

Thank you for sharing your inspiring thoughts. If you are tempted to forget, just remember that "you stay crunchy in milk." You've always helped me remember that for myself.

Ambrosia said...

I have seriously been wanting to make a t-shirt that says that, Shawn! I love that you mentioned that. I miss you! Thanks for the reminder.

Rian Krommenhoek said...

So sorry about the lay off. I know it can be a really stressful time. I love your optimism and will be interested to see what window opens as this door closes.

Heather said...

Love you! Keeping you in my prayers. xoxoxo

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

I loVe your positive outlook on everything! The unknown is soooo hard but as long as we are holding to the rod, we CANNOT fail no matter what! I will pray for ya'll! I soooo wish I could go to the temple weekly!! Ya'll are already being blessed beyond measure through this little bump in the road by all the things mentioned. Don't forget that. No one can take that bond away from all of ya'll!

kim said...

You have such a great attitude. Hope the layoff proves to be a step towards something even better!

Suzanne said...

Thank you for these thoughts, Tisha. What a wonderful reminder about new beginnings, and I love your optimism and outlook on life. While we never would have chosen it at the time, Kendall being laid off last July has turned into a huge blessing for our family. He has a much better job now (which he wouldn't have gotten if he hadn't been laid off at that exact time), and he avoided a lot of stress and heartache when his previous employer went bankrupt and shut down eight months later. Best of luck in these next few months. Heavenly Father certainly has something wonderful in mind for your family, even if you don't yet know what it is.