My sil, Kaylee, called today to see how I was doing. She is Florida for work. She will be there until Wednesday and hopes she won't miss THE calls from Amby and I. She told me to be sure to even text her if my call goes to her voicemail. She said it would be well worth the .20 texting fee that she'd get.
You know you are really getting down to the wire waiting for your baby's arrival when you hear the phone ring and your first thought is "Maybe I am in labor!" Yes, I truly did think that 3 minutes ago when the Friends of MS called me.
Yesterday my friend, Rachel, fed me the best homemade apple pie for lunch. We get together weekly for a little homeschool playdate/mommy get together. The playdate is really for us. The kids enjoy it I am sure but I am CONVINCED that Rachel and I giggle, play and girl chat more than our kids do.
As I was waking up from my nap after playdate, I started craving that apple pie. It was YUMMY, folks. I called and got the recipe. I think I will make that pie again today. In fact, I am sure of it. I really hope that my skills will prove as promising as Rachel's. If not, maybe I will bribe Rachel to make one for me. :) In fact, I will make a request and see how she responds. You whooo, Rachel!!! I know you are out there. If I go past 41 wks (which is on Monday) will you take pity on me and make a pie for me? You can come over and we can eat it for lunch again, if you want :)
So, the apple pie is my project for the day. We will do some grocery shopping as well and we were hoping to go for a walk around the block but since it is snowing a walk around Winco and/or Costco will have to suffice. I am also thinking that I might be brave to paint my front living room a lovely neutral yellow. I might go and get a paint sample can and see if it will work.
Rachel's Delectably Delightful Apple Pie
Crust:
1.5 C. flour
1/2tsp. salt
1/2 C. + 1 T. butter
Combine the flour and salt. Then cut in the butter.
1 egg yolk
2-3 T. ice water
2 tsp. lemon juice
Mix these 3 ingredients and drizzle over flour mixture until it forms a ball. Add more water if needed.
Roll into a ball and then flatten a bit. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes. She only had 2o minutes and the crust was stellar.
Filling:
5-7 baking apples, peeled and thinly sliced (she used Granny Smith, I want to mix Granny and Pink Lady)
3/4C. sugar
1tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
Mix together and put filling into crust. I forgot to ask Rachel if she lightly baked the bottom crust to set before she added her filling. I will assume she did and do that.
Put 2 T. of butter on top of apple filling. Cover with top crust and cook in a preheated 425 degree oven for 45 minutes.
Crust:
1.5 C. flour
1/2tsp. salt
1/2 C. + 1 T. butter
Combine the flour and salt. Then cut in the butter.
1 egg yolk
2-3 T. ice water
2 tsp. lemon juice
Mix these 3 ingredients and drizzle over flour mixture until it forms a ball. Add more water if needed.
Roll into a ball and then flatten a bit. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes. She only had 2o minutes and the crust was stellar.
Filling:
5-7 baking apples, peeled and thinly sliced (she used Granny Smith, I want to mix Granny and Pink Lady)
3/4C. sugar
1tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
Mix together and put filling into crust. I forgot to ask Rachel if she lightly baked the bottom crust to set before she added her filling. I will assume she did and do that.
Put 2 T. of butter on top of apple filling. Cover with top crust and cook in a preheated 425 degree oven for 45 minutes.
2 comments:
That apple pie sounds yummy.
Do you ever think that sometimes, waiting for a baby is like it will be waiting for the Second Coming? All the signs are there, it could be any day now, but it just takes so LONG that we start to think, "Will it ever happen?"
I'm loving your positive attitude!
I will totally make you your pie next week, even if you have your baby this weekend. I'm looking for a reason to make it again, but not eat all of it.
By the way, I didn't prebake the crust. I didn't have time. But it cooked lovely and crisp anyway. Let me know how yours turns out.
Post a Comment